The Basics

(Soundtrack playing in the background - Original cast recording of the musical Next to Normal)

It's another sunny 78 degrees here in southern California and I'm sitting in my room.

It's days like this that I think I should be productive. I mean it is sunny, this is probably ideal weather to be running around doing errands, working out, catching up with some friends, maybe even going for a hike. Instead I am staying within the comforts (or maybe discomfort) of my small compound comprised of unwashed laundry waiting to either be washed or donated, a bed that is just as messy as a five year old child's would be, and my shoes & bags thrown about as proof of how indecisive I can be when making the simplest choices - I mean how many bags does a guy need, right? (The quintessential messenger for work, backpack, and gym bag should suffice. However for me it ends up being a collection of several sizes and fabric of messenger bags, a few backpacks dependent on casual to dressy, two large weekender bags and about ten different totes that seem to have appeared in my room.)

The view from the edge of my 3 1/2 foot high bed is quite astounding. There is so much going on in my room even as it stands still. It's like Rachel & Monica's apartment on "Friends" had a baby brother, and instead of an apartment, crammed all it's crap into one little room. If my room were a Disney character at this moment, it would be that fat little kid from UP.
My room is this short and stubby mess of a child, that is unassuming and happy. Utility should be a purpose but gets lost in it's mishaps of indecisiveness and fat-kid syndrome. Not to mention that it does have a disheveled appearance allw hile having some sort of order and reason. And every action in the room seems to bear a badge of where it's been.

You would think It would learn it's lesson and just remain spotless. Instead it keeps maknig the same mistake of piling up crap and then having to fix everything from scratch. Then again, I can't imagine anyone's room being immaculately perfect unless with the help of a maid, a schedule that isn't so busy, or living completely minimally to the point of only necessity.

My idea of necessity versus need does seem to be in the gray area - or has been in the past. But within the past few months, I'm beginning to learn simplicity is a pretty good way to live life - no bells and whistles, no designer tags - just live.

So back to my room. How should I go about cleaning it up? Prioritze the goal, Purge the unnecessary, Put in my needs in place, and Practice daily routines to keep balance. Maybe then I'll have some space to dance again in the middle of my room.

Comments

Popular Posts