This blog entry is more technical then entertaining so just a warning......

I've been feeling so selfish lately. I keep wallowing in the problems that I have at work. And of course I don't think I am the problem and I blame everybody else.

But the more I thought about it, am I being selfish by self-depracating or am I being selfish by not standing up for what I know is right?

For my position, I work with several people using a system that was set up. Well as our company has grown several things have occurred with the system that for some reason or another are causing random things to pop up or an inconsistency in information that is throwing everybody off. Since I am the identified owner of it, I'm told that I am the cause of the issues. I take ownership of what comes from the system and take the responsibility of trying to figure out what is going on, like a good manager. So I walk over to an employee who pretty much programs the system.

So like any decent co-worker, I ask how she's doing and then proceed to present the issue. Now mind you, I haven't said she did it or that she is the cause of the failures of the human race, however, she does hold the answers and basically needs to make the appropriate changes.

Well, wouldn't you know it, she's a personal Patty.

She's that person that is so heavily invested in other people's business and her own, that for anyone to ask a question is to question her very character and authority.

She proceeded on to blame me, the users, the company, and the sun. I mean honestly, there is no conspiracy theory going on here. We are not out to get her, if there even was a "we." So like every personal Patty, she just smirks, says she's busy, promises she'll get to it, and then turns around tells everyone I'm a moron and that I probably did something to make it happen. I'm not that smart to try to make issues happen - trust me.

She starts putting on all these rules and limitations to our access into the system, which is perfectly fine amd what we've wanted for ages, in order to ensure that there is no manipulation of data. Sure enough in the past three weeks since she's done so issues are still popping up. I've taken every civil approach with her and still get blamed for her inability to distance herself from the news as a critique and look at it at a perspective of, this a job that you are responsible for looking for - investigate, come up with hard evidence, be the hero and come up with the solution, and then once we all know what is, do it.

But that is definitely not what happens in this scenario.

Instead she continues to bad mouth me and others to upper management, not do anything to truly investigate the system that she built because that would mean there is a flaw in her, which is something that I am not alluding to nor is anyone for that matter.

Here's my mental process of what should be done when an issue comes up:

Deliver Issue = Investigate issue + responsibility = identifying issue = figuring out resolution = presenting issue and resolution = fixing issue

Here's her mental process and what she does when an issue comes up:

Deliver Issue = My database is flawed = My work is flawed = I am flawed = so that means I should argue it's someone else's fault = someone else gets thrown under the bus = someone else looks bad = diverting attention from the issue = issue not resolved whatsoever

Ugh, I don't know how else to say it's not about her at all and that she just needs to fix it. That's it. No need to drag anyone's name in the mud, because surely I don't even mention her name when I talk about issues.

Now she has become the issue and I can't convince anyone otherwise because I've been so torn apart by her and her minions of people who don't take the time to do the research that my word basically means squat at this point.

What to do? except rant.

(Sorry I know this is not entertaining whatsoever, I'm just tired of BS and her inability to understand character and compliance)

Comments

Popular Posts